PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, May 10, 2013

I made it!


I did, I made it. It was a strange, nervous morning, where it was almost a parallel universe. I found myself the one answering a million medical questions instead of asking them! I was lying in bed all drafty under that ugly gown instead of in my scrubs. 

When was the last time I put on scrubs, anyway? I like scrubs. 

We dropped Hadley off to a sweet, drowsy Marcy before 6 this morning. And Hadley only hesitated for a moment before snuggling Marcy right up. 

Joseph and I drove just around the corner, practically, to Toledo Hospital. We were escorted from desk to desk to my little gurney in a corner room, and I was tucked in within a few minutes of walking through the front door. If you ask me, I felt good about every moment. If you ask Joseph, you might get another story! I thought it was smooth, even for them not having orders or an H&P on me. And that took me back to my workin' days too. Nothing more annoying than starting from scratch and trying to get your patient to surgery on time. Yikes!

Well, we met a million care providers all at once, each having a dozen questions, some of them overlapping. I can handle that. I've been one of those million. I bet Joseph thought it was just all craziness!

In my little room, I got an IV started. Just where I suggested (after being asked) and on the first try. And I love a nurse who can do that. My heart swells with love for her Today. It's the small things. They started my fluids and gave me 1 of versed and within seconds I was drunk. As they came to take me away, I screwed up my name. Alice R Linn. No, Alice R Rebecca. Alice R Gilbuena. Third times a charm. 

I got a kiss in the hall, and they stole me away. 

I didn't get to see Dr. DeRosa before I went under, he thought I was scheduled at a surgery center he also works with. And I don't remember seeing him after. But Joseph says they talked. So I assume he showed up and it wasn't one of those Med students who did the dirty work. 

I of course remember putting on the mask before, and nothing until I was in recovery. Smooth. Lucky. Everything went well. I don't have much pain. I don't have much bleeding. I don't have my December baby, but maybe I'll have an April baby instead. 

We were home by 11, making pancakes and bacon, watching Big Bang Theory. Now to soak up what's left of a calm, peaceful, stress free afternoon before my wild child is returned to me. 

A huge thanks to Joseph, my mom, Renee, Marcy and the rest of our friends and family who've been so sweet and supportive over the last 8 days. It makes all the difference to have you all on our side. 

And a special thanks everyone involved in my care today. I started with another Renee, then there was IV nurse, lab tech, there was student with anesthesiology, then two anesthesiologists, two Med students, an OR nurse or 2, and the transporter who wheeled me out to the car. 

But before that, I was in PACU for a couple hours with a nurse who's name I cannot remember, but spent the most time with me, and probably gave me the most TLC of anyone. If tomorrow I learn her name when she is supposedly going to call to check on me, I'll thank her again, by name. 

I hope by sharing my experiences, ladies will know its ok to talk about miscarriage. I know it's a little dark and scary, but it's not taboo. Trust me. It helps. And I hope if there is someone out there in need of a pal who's been in the same boat, she will know she can count on me. If you know someone or are someone who could use a chat, comment or email me! Drop me a note on Facebook, or give me a call. I'm all yours. 

Here's a couple photos for fun. My IV bruise and a few gems Joseph grabbed this morning. 








Sorry for the photo jumble, when using the blogger app, it just does whatever the heck it wants with them. Gotta get me that other paid app if I am going to make it a habit.

XOXO, Al


1 comment:

christy vorderstrasse said...

Little Miss Allie <3
I've been there a few time, and believe me- you are one tough cookie :)
Hugs my friend